Saturday, December 24, 2005

My Grandma

Its not everyday that you get to have a dinner alone with your 92 year old grandmother. And Oh the things that you might learn. Tonight, my other family had pre-arranged dinner plans and so I got to go have dinner with my grandmother. She is a strong woman, I will tell you that up front. I have come to find out that when my mother was 13 years old, my grandfather was shot and killed in his barber shop. The circumstances as I understand them seem mysterious, but it was ruled a suicide. My grandmother found him alive and the doctors told her that they could keep his vitals going, but he was not be able to tell them anything and he died soon thereafter. He aparently drank more than his share at times. My grandma said that he would bring home bottles of alcohol, and she would pour them down the sink. (she said she used to say that she had the cleanest drain in town) My grandmother was also previously married before my grandfather to a guy who cheated on her and so she divorced him. And actually it was her brother that made sure that she wasn't with some cheatin' guy. My grandmother seems to remember things as far back as her own childhood. She rememberd seeing her father die and feeling like she saw, or knew when his soul left the body. Now fast forward to a few years back when she moved here to Suffolk, VA. Aparently someone snuck into our house (its not hard because not all the doors were locked at the time) and went into her room and she woke up and saw this person rear back and punch her in the face! I couldn't believe it! She must have been in her late 80's at the time! And she said that as she saw the assailent, she prayed that he wouldn't hit her in the eye and she said she felt like God intervened somehow and softend the blow.
Anyways, I love my grandma and I pray that the Lord takes her peacfully when He does it. You might think- and to me it seems weird in retrospect, thought not so much at the time- that it would be wierd talking about death and stuff with my 92 year old grandmother, but it wasn't. It was facinating to find out about some of my darker family history. I would encourage you all to get over whatever qualms about death or old people that you have and go talk to your grandparents if you can. Not that you should ask them about death and depressing stuff, but just talk to them and let them talk about whatever they want to talk about. Peace everyone, and have a Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home