Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Things I didn't know about my dad...

Today I got to hang out with my dad. We were taking some trash to the dump since the trash men skipped our neighborhood. Apparently, many other people had the same idea, so we had about 45 min to wait in the truck. It was cool though because we got to talk about stuff. I was asking him about his navy days and i discovered that my dad is about 10x sweeter than i thought (if that's even possible). He was telling about how when he was in the subs there were a few nuclear subs and many diesel subs in use at the time. The nuclear sub guys were called nukes (much like I am by my colleagues) and the diesel sub guys were called "sewer pipe sailors". My dad was the later at first although eventually every sub and sailor went nuke (including my dad). He said that the nukes would see them and start sniffing or say "smells like a sewer pipe sailor" and a fight would usually ensue. Im gonna get dinner I'll tell you more later.
Happy Boxing Day.
[update]
He also just told me about some of the guys he ran with in the navy. It was kinda like reading Catch 22. Nearly everyone had a nickname and the nicknames were almost always something meant to pick on the person to the nth degree. My dad supposes his nickname was "war baby" because of when he was born, and that he was younger than most sailors. He told me about a guy named "duck". Duck was fat and waddle-y and spoke with a lisp, and had a propensity for getting drunk and throwing up. Once while on a train, Duck was sitting next to a woman on the inside of the aisle and had to puke, so instead of getting up and finding a bathroom he pulled the neck of his shirt over his mouth and threw up in his shirt. Also he once tapped on the glass of a resteraunt window until he got everyones attention and then proceded to puke.
Some other fellow who's name I can't remember once rented two lockers from a YMCA. One for his clothes, and one to sleep in. The reason he slept in a locker was that when the sub was in dock in the winter and they were charging the batteries, something about the process of charging the batteries would make the sub temperature below freezing. My dad would get in his car and start it up until it got warm and then turn it off and try to sleep. He'd sleep until the cold woke him up and he'd start the process over again. Of, course, this was only so bad durring a battery charge.
He told me about a training simulation where you are placed in a scale model of some part of the sub that has all the same stuff in it. They called it Buttercup. Then they would spring a huge leak on you and you would have to do your best to fix it (all while the water level is rising). Some guys would freeze up and never get on a sub again. Aparently the leak was gushing like a fountain too, not some tiny drip.
He said he got to see Mt. Fuji through a periscope.
I can't even remember everything he told me. Anyway, I just thought i'd tell you about my dad, since he can and will beat up your dad.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Buddy! Are you back in town yet? We're having a little get together here if you're intrested.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home