Saturday, March 04, 2006

revenge...

So the title of this post is oh so meaningful. First i want to talk about yesterday. Yesterday, Friday, around noon, The students of Chapel hill gathered as they are wont to do near the "pit"- a so called sunken area of cement that is central to campus and directly in front of our beloved dining hall. At the same time a man in a rented SUV came to the pit and intentionally drove the Jeep into the pit where the throngs of students were. 9 people were struck, 6 seriously enough to be taken to the hospital. The man then drove off like nothing had happend.
This man happened to be muslim. Of Iranian decent as my sources claim. When the police asked him why he did it, he told them to go look at his apartment to find out why. The officers imediatley evacuated the building and though a muffled explosion was heard by witnesses, the police have publicly said that nothing too suspicious was found yet at his apartment. His apartment happens to be one street down from mine.
This was a psych major from UNC that had just graduated last year. What drove this man to commit this act I cannot say. He obviously was seeking revenge for something. How he could blame the random assortment of students who gathered in the pit this friday I can't say either. His act sparked in me a reaction- mentally I was so angry at this man. At muslims. At cowards who think they are noble for acting out some belief- no matter what the consequences. Then angry at relativists who justify what cowards like this man do because of how they view western culture. Who compare what this man does to some event in history as if to say, "well they were bad, so he can be bad too" or people who would never distinguish between justice and revenge.
Then Timothy came to my mind. I am recently studying through Paul's letter to Timothy and Paul says "I thank Christ Jesus our Lord who has given me strength, that he considered me faithful, appointinig me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and persecutor and a violent man. I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly along with the faith and Love that are in Christ Jesus."
It changed the way I thought. I felt pity for this man. Pity that he has been given lies as truth. I pray for God to continue to change my heart, and that he could call this man to repentance even as he has called me. I pray also for this man to recieve justice from men, and mercy from God.

Now on to pleasenter things. The Duke-UNC game is, of course, tonight and I am willing to bet a beverage of the winners choosing that the Heels will win. We will have REVENGE!... the good kind. And if we don't I might just run over JJ and Sheldon with the motorcycle I am going to buy...I'll check to see if I have any takers before tipoff.
Peace

5 Comments:

Blogger Rockel said...

I am glad to hear that you were not a victim of the pit drive-thru. When I heard the news story, I immediately thought of the handful of people I know that attend UNC. As disturbing a situation as it was, it was an incredible relief to know that such (relatively) few people were injured, and no one died, as a result.
But, wow, how disturbing (on an entirely different level) to find out how close he lived to you.

Finally... "the Heels will win." You Blasphemer!

7:49 PM  
Blogger InterestingPhysics said...

I'll take that as a beverage-wager. Hope you didn't give up gambling for lent.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Rockel said...

No. Didn't give up gambling. Also, thankfully, didn't give up drinking.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Rockel said...

congrats

11:12 PM  
Blogger InterestingPhysics said...

thanks! How very congenial of you.

1:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home